How to use Arlula for the Maxar Spatial Challenge
The Maxar Spatial Challenge has now concluded. Congratulations to all participants!
Arlula is currently offering a discount to all Spatial Challenge participants who would like to purchase commercial satellite imagery for future projects – including new 15cm imagery products. Feel free to contact us with your requirements.
The Maxar Spatial Challenge utilises Arlula’s API framework to deliver high resolution sample satellite imagery to participants. This guide will show you how to use our API to integrate this data into your workflow, or simply download it from your Arlula account.
In this tutorial we’ll be showing you how to create an Arlula account and access Maxar imagery for the purposes of the hackathon. You’ll be given two options for the procurement of this imagery data:
- Simply accessing sample imagery download links through your Arlula account.
- Using the Arlula API to acquire and integrate the sample imagery directly into your chosen GIS workflow.
MAXAR HD Technology
The Maxar Spatial Challenge allows participants to use sample imagery featuring new HD technology. This is a proprietary technique that improves the visual clarity of an image. The resulting image is refined with precise edges and well-reconstructed details that reduces visual clutter and pixilation that can distract or obstruct interpretation by human eyes and computer vision algorithms.
To learn more about Maxar 15cm satellite imagery HD technology, visit their product page.
If you’d like to purchase ultra high resolution 15cm Satellite imagery for your own project please use our order form.
Step 1: Sign in
Sign into the Arlula API dashboard with your account details. If you’re new to Arlula, you’ll need to create an account, this is a fairly simple process that should only take a few minutes.
- Visit https://api.arlula.com/signup and create an account.
- Once you signup you’ll receive a confirmation email from us. If you cannot find it make sure to check your spam folder.
Step 2: Register your API for Maxar Imagery
Now that you’ve logged in and created your API, you’ll need to register your API credentials in order to gain access to Maxar sample imagery.
Simply use this google form to enter your team name and API Support ID. After you’ve done this, Maxar HD sample imagery will be connected to your account and you can follow the steps below to locate and download this imagery.
Step 3: Access Sample Imagery
- Find the API that you registeresd for the Maxar Spatial Challenge in Step 2, and click the ‘ ⋮ ‘ on the right hand side.
- Select ‘ order history ‘.
- If you have previous orders on this API, you’ll see a list of them here, if not, a prompt. Click ‘ sample images ‘ in the top right, or in the prompt.
- This is a list of the available sample images for the API, check back as the collection is extended. If you do not see your Maxar Spatial Challenge sample imagery it means you haven’t completed Step 2 above, or the imagery is still being connected to your account and will be completed shortly.
- To inspect details of the sample collection, click on the title to view a thumbnail and some details.
- To add a collection to your api, click the toggle on the right hand side to the ‘ on ‘ position, and hit save.
- The sample imagery will now show up in your orders list, either in your order history on the previous page, or in the api’s ‘order/list‘ and ‘order/get‘ endpoints. NOTE: the order is unlikely to show up as the most recent order, as the sample imagery is stored as an existing order in the platform. On the dashboard you can identify it by the sample chip, and in the API you can distinguish it by its special type of ‘sample-archive‘.
- Imagery resources can be downloaded as for any other order, by two methods:
- API: get the resource ID from the order data in the ‘order/get‘ endpoint, then make a request to ‘order/resource/get‘ to retrieve the resource data.
- Dashboard: find the order in the orders list, and view its details, each resource is available as a download button from this page.
Step 4 (optional): Removing Sample Imagery
- If you ever wish to remove a sample image from your API, return to the sample images page (via the orders history page, see above).
- Toggle the respective sample collection to the ‘off‘position and click save.
- The sample image will now be removed from your orders list and not show up in the orders history page or ‘order/list‘ endpoint.
* You should not remove Maxar Spatial Challenge sample imagery before the completion of the Challenge.
If you have any questions about this tutorial or about using Arlula for the Maxar Spatial Challenge generally, please feel free to contact the Arlula support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the form below.