Senior back-end engineer – Full Time
What is Arlula?
Arlula is a fast growing space technology startup building software infrastructure for the Earth Observation (EO) sector. Thousands of people and companies are now using Arlula to manage their satellite operations and/or to build apps that can monitor the impact we have on our planet from space.
We are passionate about creating new commercial opportunities in the quickly evolving commercial space industry. We work with a range of international space agencies including NASA and ESA, as well as commercial satellite operators such as Maxar, Planet, LatConnect60 and others. Our customers make use of our solutions across a range of industries for things such as agriculture, bushfire monitoring, insurance assessment, environmental planning and journalism.
We are seeking an experienced, driven back end developer to assist in the management, maintenance and further development of our platform to allow the discovery, acquisition, processing, management and manipulation of Earth Observation data.
We offer an opportunity for the right candidate to demonstrate their technical expertise and collaboration skills by working with our multidisciplinary team to solve issues relating to issues up and down the satellite imagery infrastructure chain, addressing issues of imagery processing, indexation, discovery, distribution, analysis and visualisation.
Candidates should be experienced back-end/server side engineers, who have worked with microservices architectures utilising both synchronous and asynchronous communications.
As well as experience working in collaboration with teams in other specialisations such as front-end, data engineering and scientific research.
As a Senior Back-End Engineer, you will:
- Work with team to maintain and update web and API servers to ensure their accuracy and ease of use for both satellite operators and data consumers,
- Assist in the design and implementation of new API’s, servers, and infrastructure systems,
- Work with our science team to design and implement infrastructure for imagery processing and delivery,
- Assist in the production of documentation and technical resources regarding the user and products of the systems
- Field customer enquiries about the APIs and back end system, and any issues customers experience interacting with it or its output artefacts,
- Advice and mentor Junior developers wishing to build their back end experience
Skills and Experience required
- No specific qualifications are required for this position if the applicant has appropriate experience (a portfolio of prior works is preferred)
- Qualifications in software, physics, mathematics, or other relevant fields may be an advantage for some applicants.
- 4+ years experience developing and maintaining non trivial applications, ideally web servers and/or pipeline/workflow management applications.
- Have built large scale applications with a microservice architecture
- Have built applications with asynchronous operational components
- Go (Golang) programming language and its html template library
- AWS tools and products
- Technical communications (documentation, technical blog writing and reports, etc)
- Customer communication and bug report management
- Curious and Creative
- Independent and self motivated
- Enjoys problem solving
- Enjoys working in multidisciplinary fields
- Able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Passion for new space industry
Why join Arlula?
- We are fully funded and growing fast, we have organically 30x’d our platform usage throughout 2022.
- We launched an industry first product in January 2022 and have already secured our first customers.
- We are backed by some of Australia’s leading VC’s.
- Take advantage of a rare opportunity to engage and shape a rapidly evolving space technology industry.
- Engage with users across a variety of industries and see the positive impact your work has first hand.
- Excel in an inclusive and flexible work environment.
- You’ll receive a competitive salary that will scale as the company grows.
- We can also provide further training for the right candidate.
Interested in applying?
If this is something that seems interesting to you and you think you’ll be a good fit, please send your resume, Portfolio and a Cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org